While public auctions and open for inspections have been suspended, there are still opportunities for savvy buyers and sellers. If you weren’t planning to sell now, more time at home means you can get started on those home improvement projects that can increase the value of your property for when you do want to sell!
Eager buyers are utilising technology to take advantage of the market conditions and more time spent at home to find their new digs, which means it’s ever more important to catch their eyes. So, if you do have plans to list your home, or find yourself keen to get some home improvements going to increase its value, here are our top things you can do at home to prepare.
Cheap and Quick Wins while you’re home to increase value
They say not to judge a book by it’s cover – but that doesn’t stop anyone. More time spent at home means it’s time to get started on those home improvements you’ve been putting off. For those who want some quick wins while at home without breaking the bank:
- Tidy up the front garden and backyard
- Declutter and throw away the things you don’t need anymore
- Look into how you can light up those dark corners of your rooms
- Open up your spaces by removing or replacing curtains
- Modernise your interiors with a fresh lick of paint or freshen up the decor
Larger projects that will impact your value
The cost of house extensions will typically be less than the cost of building new. Extra time indoors may mean that you’ve noticed improvements you could be making to your home, but here’s how you can take on the projects that will provide the most value and figure out what you should focus on:
- Firstly figure out the cost, work and time involved in the project to avoid a budget blow-out
- Update your bathroom or kitchen fixtures
- Know what paint colours will boost your home value
- Get outside (just to the backyard) and undertake a landscaping project
- Regrout the tiles
And if you’re thinking of getting an appraisal…
One of the first steps before you sell a house is to find out what your property is worth through a professional appraisal with your local agent. With social distancing rules now in place, many agents are providing virtual appraisals which can be carried out over the phone.
Our top tips for getting an appraisal during isolation:
- Focus on what’s important and spruce up the important things
- Brush up on your curb appeal for a better value estimate
- Declutter furniture and spaces to make your rooms appear bigger
- Know the questions you should be asking your agent to get the best fit
- Be ready to adapt and take advice as things change